Over 30 million Americans snore on a regular basis. What many don’t realize is that snoring can often be a dental issue, but Infinity Dental of Fox Lake offers a range of treatment for snoring and sleep apnea.
There are a number of reasons people snore or suffer from Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA):
- Age: As you get older you are more likely to snore
- Weight: Overweight and obese people are more likely to snore and develop sleep apnea
- Lifestyle: Drinking, smoking and sedative use increase your risk for snoring
- Sleeping Position: You are more likely to snore if you sleep on your back than on your side or stomach
- Diabetes and other medical conditions
Snoring, while bothersome and unhealthy, can also be a sign of a more serious condition: Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA). OSA is a breathing disorder which causes a person to stop breathing for 10 or more seconds repeatedly while sleeping. Sleep apnea is diagnosed by a medical professional and more severe cases are treated with the CPAP appliance. However, oral appliance therapy has proven to be effective for mild to moderate cases and may be recommended as an alternative for those who are intolerant of the CPAP.
Oral Appliance Therapy in Fox Lake
The most effective and least invasive solution for snoring or OSA is a snore appliance worn while you sleep. Similar to a night guard or sports mouth guard, a snore appliance is a mouthpiece that covers the teeth and properly aligns the teeth and tongue to keep the breathing airway open to prevent snoring. An oral appliance is small, convenient and relatively comfortable for most patients, fitting in the mouth much like a sports mouth guard. It can be easily taken along when traveling and the high compliance rate among patients supports its effectiveness. Dr. Prendergast can work with you to create a custom oral appliance that will minimize snoring and reduce health risks associated with sleep apnea.
A snore appliance:
- Repositions the lower jaw, tongue, soft palate or uvula
- Stabilizes the lower jaw and tongue
- Increases the muscle tone of the tongue and throat
Schedule a Consultation
If you suffer from snoring or Obstructive Sleep Apnea, schedule a consultation at Infinity Dental today. A quick and easy snore appliance could mean more restful nights for you and your partner.