Dental Crowns An Overview
A dental crown is a permanent restorative treatment that covers the tooth like a “cap” to provide protection and stability to teeth affected by damage or decay.
At Infinity Dental of Fox Lake, Dr. Prendergast uses a variety of materials for dental crowns, but the most popular is a porcelain crown. Porcelain dental crowns are highly durable, stain resistant, and very natural looking.
Do You Need Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns can be used to:
- Protect a tooth weakened by decay or damage
- Prevent chipped or broken tooth from breaking apart
- Restore teeth that are severely worn down
- Replace an existing restoration that covers more than half of the tooth
- Reinforce a tooth after root canal therapy
- Cover and support a tooth with a large dental filling when there isn’t enough remaining tooth structure
- Support a dental bridge
- Cover misshaped or severely discolored teeth
Dental crowns are also used in dental implants to restore beauty and function. While the dental implant serves as the replacement tooth root, the dental crown becomes the replacement tooth. Learn more about the benefits of dental implants.