Dental Bridges An Overview
Replacing missing teeth is extremely important. Gaps between teeth can leave the gums open to infection and bacteria and over time the bone can deteriorate and affect neighboring teeth. Dental bridges are used to literally “bridge the gap” between teeth in order to fill in the gaps created by missing teeth.
Fox Lake dentist Dr. Thomas Prendergast offers several treatment options for missing teeth including dental bridges. An experienced restorative dentist, he can evaluate your teeth and gums to determine if a dental bridge is right for you. Dental bridges can be placed using your natural teeth as anchors or dental implants.
Benefits of Dental Bridges:
- Dental Bridges can restore your smile by closing gaps
- Dental Bridges can allow you to properly chew and speak
- Dental Bridges will maintain the shape of your face
- Dental Bridge allows you to bite properly by distributing forces evenly
- Dental Bridges will prevent remaining teeth from drifting out of position
Implants: An Alternative to A Dental Bridge
Dental bridges can place stress on the natural, surrounding teeth. If your surrounding teeth are healthy, a better option to replace missing teeth may be dental implants. If one tooth is missing, an implant can be placed to restore natural structure and function to your bite without having to impact healthy neighboring teeth.
When several consecutive teeth need to be replaced, dental implants can secure a dental bridge for a more stable long term result.